Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Paris, Parliament, ane Pain

Monday, 6 April, 2009
Salùt, mes amis! I am truly sorry I wasn't able to blog yesterday, but we left our home at 5:00 AM, and I didn't return until after 11:00 PM. And while I have started my blog later than that on this trip, the day trip to Paris truly wore me out and I needed rest. So tonight, I sit down to start before dinner, and I'll hopefully finish both days before midnight.
Paris! Just the name sends little shivers of excitment through your brain. Sometimes when I have a moment or two of real quietude, i am enveloped with wonder and amazement that I am, in fact, in France. And not just a state or two over. It's almost impossible to describe my Paris trip on one blog. And I truly think the Louvre should have it's very own. But somehow I've got to squeeze in two days tonight, so let's get this journey of 1000 miles going with the first step.
We met at the train station at 5:45 AM. And not just any train; either- this is the TGV "Tay Jay Vay"- France's high speed rail system. (The very one Mr. Obama professed to be jealous of!)



At the TGV station. Yes; thoses ARE Nickelodean banners!




Riding the train was literally a breeze. It's well-marked, easy to manage, and VERY fast. I was told this train cruises at about 250 kilometers an hour; making the trip to Paris in 2 hours. We were met at the Paris station by a guide, and were whisked away on a tour bus. It wasn't on our itinerary, but most of the adults wanted to see Notre Dame, so we made a whirlwind unscheduled stop. The magnificence of this cathedral was breathtaking. There were hundreds and hundreds packed in lines to get in, but our guide knew exatly how to get us in quickly. The cool, almost earthy damp feeling of the nave was comforting and refreshing, but we were inside for less than 20 minutes!




The famous flying buttresses of Notre Dame


A view of the Organ Pipes from the transept.



On the facade

Then we began our bus tour of Paris. Our guide was exceptionally knowledgeable, and pointed out more interesting sights than we could capture with our cameras. I wish I could remember every detail- but we went very quickly, with our guide speaking almost non-stop. I can leave you with pictures, but few actual descriptions. I plan on looking these up when I get home so I will have labels for all the pictures!


Don't ever complain about Wilmington traffic! This is a view from our front bus window. These folks are moving! No lanes- people just go where they want.

Our driver regulary took us where "No Bus Should Have Gone Before"- yes! Through t hese high, narrow gates!







































Napolean' s famous L'Arc de Triumphe

We ended our ride at La Tour Eiffel- the magnificent Eiffel Tower! If there is just one symbol that absolutely IS France, it would be the Eiffel Tower.


We entered from the East Tower, and took a lift to the top. (Or as far as we could go. The very peak was closed because the crowds were too great.)

Breathtaking views:















Before I knew it, our guide told us it was time to go. As we made our way to the lifts, she told us that we would walk. WALK? DOWN??? Really? Do you know HOW FAR UP WE ARE???

Eh bien; there is nothing for it. It's climb down the swirly, dizzy, steep stairs or be left behind.


I did consider my options; but only for a second. It took almost 30 minutes to reach the bottom, and by then, even the fittest student was letting the tiniest little peeps of complaint be heard. My legs were absolute jelly, and shaking so violently I could barely stand when I finally reached the bottom. Truthfully, this Tower makes Hatteras look like your attic steps. But there wasn't time to contemplate how uncomfortable I was. Our guide told us it was lunch time, and we were to sit about on the lawn and eat our lunches. Right- sit DOWN on the GRASS and I would surely NOT get up again! But I've accomplished much more on this trip than I ever have at home it seems; so down on the cool grass we all went. Our families had packed us lunches, and we enjoyed about 30 or 40 minutes in a little park around the Tower. A quick word about lunches packed from home: In the US, when we pack our kids' lunches, they will probably get a sandwich of some sort, maybe a bag of chips, and a cookie or brownie or piece of fruit. Here, everyone eats out in the open all the time, so our lunches are baged in huge shopping bags, and most everyone has enough packed to feed the entire crowd. Sandwiches are usually an entire baguette ( anywhere from 10 to 24 inces!) with "jambon, fromagge, et buerre". This is the National Sandwich of France- ham with cheese and butter. And instead of one brownie, you typically would have the entire box. Instead of a baggie of chips, you would have the full container. Ask your kids- it truly is remarkable!
Before we knew it, it was time to head for the Louvre!














Like many of you, I've read the Da Vinci Code, but seeing the glass pyramid and the inverted pyramid inside just was astonishing to me. We began our tour of the Louvre with what would become the bane of my existance that day: STEPS. I had in no way at all recovered from the Eiffel tower, and now our guide was telling us that we could not take our book bags or water bottles into the museum. This normally would not be a problem, but do you have any idea how big the Louvre actually is? There are 8 separate entrances; and the entire museum is roughly a "U" shape on it's side. There are 4 or 5 different levels, from the foundation of the castle, to its top-most floors. And yes, it was originally a palace. Our guide told us the name "Louvre" doesn't have a specific meaning, but scholars believe it was from ancient Celtic words that meant "Fortress". And when we entered, it was from underground, looking at the stone foundations of this mighty Fortress.


Steps. Exhaustion, and a growing thirst, all knawed at me relentlessly, but couldn't diminish the awesome sights of this place. To stand next to Winged Victory, or to gaze into the enigmatic eyes of the Mona Lisa- ther REAL one!! made all creature discomforts disappear. I really can't describe to you how this felt- to stand in the same hall as the French Crown Jewels- Napolean's own crown and jewel-encrusted sword, or to stand with Venus de Milo in the Greek Antiquities hall just have no comparison at all with seeing these things in books. It's not even apples and oranges. It's more like apples and hippopotomusses. One has nothing to do with the other.

As speechless as this all left us, we were truly beyond exhaustion, and many of us were really beginning to feel the effects of dehydration. Did I forget to mention there are no water fountains in France; either?? There must be somewhere, but I haven't seen one yet. And as beautiful as the Louvre was, it was slam packed full of people, and very, very hot. We had three hours here, and by the last hour; we were so overcome with trying to absorb everything, and so hot and thirsty, that unfortunately many of us just wanted to go home. Our wonderful guide kept showing us just one more thing, and our kids did not complain; but I saw them drop more and more frequently into any available place to sit as they listened to her.


It's a good thing we could take pictures! We were sure some seriouly tired puppies, and now I can upload my pictures and look back on them with fabulous memories. We had about 30 minutes of free time before we got back on the bus, so Mrs. Peoples and I headed to the nearest little snack bar. Yes, there are some of these, but there was no time while we were with out guide. We had to keep moving or risk getting lost. We got the largest bottles of water they had and a beignet (French doughnut) a piece, then popped in a couple of little gift shops.

We left the Louvre about 6:30 PM, and boarded the bus of the train station. After a brief stop in the train station for refreshments or dinner, we boarded the train for Strasbourg.

You'd think everybody would sleep on the train!
Well; you could THINK that, but you'd be wrong!

Just one gi-nor-mous field trip!!

So I've pretty much explained the Paris and Pain part- now for Parliament!
April, 2009

I thought the pain was going to be confined to yesterday; I was very sadly mistaken. Just coming down the stairs in my home today was an unbelievably difficult task. My poor mom, Cathie, looks at me with the gravest concern over my hobbling around. And what a day I have ahead of me! Today, we are to visit the Parliament!

We began our day at St.Etiennes, by sitting in on a PE class. But sitting isn't quite the right word. There appear to be 3 or 4 different gyms in this school, and most appear to be rather small in sz, but with fantastic equipment. This was Sebastien's first class of the day, and our American kids were invited to a friendly game of dodge-ball: French style!!

By the way, I received this camera for Christmas, and just today I figured out how to make a video. Now, if I can figure out how to get that on the blog before I go, you'll be able to see a little of this exciting game for yourself. The ball is super-squishy; so even though it sounds terrible, there's no risk of injury in this small; confined space. Basically it's like American Dodge ball, but once you are hit, you move over to the opponent's side and become an ally infiltrator. If you get the ball and score a hit, you can come back "home". And if that sounds like fun; double it with TWO balls! This is fast-paced; frantic; and really gets those kids moving in the morning!
After an hour or so of play; we struck out for the bowling alley. Yes, walking. It took about 30 minutes of steady walking to get there. I'd estimate about 3 or so. And my legs and feet are protesting with every step. The French students came with us, and we bowled a couple of games in groups of 6.


Afterward, our students went with their French hosts to lunch. Some went home, others went back to school. Here, everyone has a very long lunch break of more than an hour. Some days more than that. Their schedule is very flexible, and I haven't yet been able to figure it out. But they are allowed to leave the school campus for lunch if they want. Cathie met me on the Pont St. Gilliaume (Saint Gilliaume Bridge) near the school and took me to lunch.

A Vegetarian restaurant! My gracious host mooking out for me once again. We dined "on the terrace", which was really just tables and chairs set up on the side walk, and had the most wonderful lunch. This tiny restaurant held only about 8 or 10 tables inside, but like everything here, was simply scrumptious. And all was sweetness and light until I decided I should visit the restroom before leaving. (Remember, restrooms aren't so easy to find here, so I almost never pass up the opportunity). When I asked our server where they were located he simply said "la bas" -over there- and pointed DOWN.
The ever-present spiral staircase. It most be some sort of national treasure here. Houses and buildings are built vertically to avoid a large foot-print. In the 1500's and 1600's, when most of these villages were being built, taxes were paid on the square footage of the foundation- not the enitre house; so you see many buildings and homes that are small at the bottom, but get wider with each story to avoid paying higher taxes. This also results in spiral staircases to accomodate high, narrow walls and passageways. Navigating that little staircase was nothing compared to parliament. We met back at the school at 3:00 for the trip. I had sent my mind off in search of something to distract from the pain of walking; when we suddenly stopped. We were getting tickets for the bus!

I was truly a happy camper.

We arrived at the Parliament building around 4:00, and were given a tour. Other than a couple of other school groups, he could have been minding the store all by himself. I never saw anyone other than the security guards at the entrance and one person in the gift shop. But he was quite knowledgable about the history of the European Parliament, and the physical space was gorgeous. We watched a short video, and listened to his descriptions, then he took us to the debating hall; and explained how interpreters are used to help everyone hear and speak and vote in their own language. It was huge and beautiful. An awe-inspiring space.

There's much; much more, but I can't write any more this evening. I've got to get some sleep- tomorrow we're all going to Europa Park.
Yes, more walking! They probably even have spiral staircases!

More pictures tomorrow night. Right now- I've got to sleep!


Blessings and peace from France-
I love and miss you all!
Bonnie

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs Bonnie, have truly been phenomenal! What a blessing to read! Thank you! We miss you all and are anxiously awaiting your arrival! May you enjoy the rich blessings of the Easter Sunrise on your flight back! Kisses!
    Rena

    ReplyDelete